PublicaMundi is an FP7-funded research project originating from everyday problems faced by open data publishers and data consumers alike. Simply stated, open geospatial data are cumbersome to easily publish and consume for non-GIS experts. While most data publishers and developers are familiar with handling and using typical data (e.g. csv), they are not familiar with the intricacies of geospatial data. Different coordinate reference systems, geospatial databases, map servers, special standardized APIs are some of the tools and know-how required to publish and reuse open geospatial data.
PublicaMundi aims to democratize open geospatial data publishing and reuse, making easier for publishers to share data and for developers to discover and reuse data
In a nutshell, will research and develop scalable, reusable tools and technologies to facilitate the publication, discovery and reuse of open geospatial data. How will this be achieved?
- Extend open data catalogues to fully support the publishing, curation and management lifecycle of geospatial data.
- Develop and integrate tools enabling the interlinking of geospatial data their multilinguality in a cross-boundary context
- Provide scalable technologies and services to create and reuse on-demand maps from open geospatial data
- Develop analytics services to accurately monitor the usage of open geospatial data
- Develop scalable technologies and reusable data APIs supporting querying, processing, and analysis of open geospatial data
Want to learn more?
Please read about:
- The challenges we face with open geospatial data. If you wish to share your own experiences, drop us a line. The more problems we identify, the better!
- Our goals within PublicaMundi. Simply stated: make geospatial data easier than ever to publish and use. If you share these goals, why don’t you join us or let us know how we can help you?
- The impact we aim to have in the open data landscape. Have you used our tools? Built something interesting with them? Let us know and be proud about it!